Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Copying Tezuka

As a long-time fan of Tezuka Osamu, I have been anticipating the release of Astro Boy on the big screen. When I finally caught the trailer in the cinema, however, the enthusiasm was taken over by sense of disappointment. It was as if someone has just sold me a cheap copy of the Parker "Duofold" fountain pen that is made in China at full price.





At first, I could not quite pinpoint why but as I matched the English dialogues against the movements of the charecters' lips, it became obvious. This is an animation that has been 'adapted' into a Hollywood production and all the characters speak English- not dubbed into English, even thought they are based on a Japanese Manga. Further, the gags and punchlines sounded and presented indifferently from, say, "Ice Age".

Psst... Copy Animation, anyone?





No comments: